Monday, April 14, 2014

Torah Letter Counting and Dieting ..... by DianaDee Osborne

APRIL 14                                                                                 SUBSCRIBE  
The date of 14 April 2014 is abbreviated like this: 41414
The next day, April 15th, is 41514 or, backwards:                        41514
The next day, April 16th, is 41614 or, backwards:                         41614
and etc for three more days, through the 19th's       41914

History fascinating fact about forwards and backwards:
When a Jewish scribe  (writer)  was meticulously creating a new handwritten copy
of a book of the Torah (one of first 5 books of Bible),
He would count letters of each line forwards & backward
            to be sure nothing was added or deleted.
If there was even one mistake, the entire page had to be re-written.
From http://www.myjewishlearning.com/practices - 
Writing a Torah scroll is a religious act. First and foremost, a kosher Torah scroll must be hand-written. This is done by a sofer (scribe), a specially trained individual who is devout and knowledgeable in the laws governing the proper writing and assembling of a scroll. Sofer is from the Hebrew root 'to count.' According to the Talmud (Kiddushin 30a), these scholars would count each letter of the Torah."

WHAT  DOES  THIS  HAVE  TO  DO  WITH  DIETING?
 Consider:  God's scribes were entrusted with ensuring
       that people saw God's exact word, so they spent 
MUCH  time and effort counting and re-counting to check that they were right.
  It's been said that each Christ follower might be the       
ONLY  BIBLE  that some people ever  read.                
What do people "read" about God as they look at you, me?
Do our lives reflect selfishness?  OVER-spending, OVER-TV watching, OVER-concern with social media? OVER-eating, of course a concern for a diet blog?


The word DISQUALIFIED is in God's Book 6 times in New KJV.
The one that makes me most sad when I look in the mirror is this:
    First Corinthians 9:27,
"I discipline my body like an athlete, training it to do what it should. Otherwise, I fear that after preaching to others I myself might be disqualified." 
I love chocolate, I love cheesy foods, I love buffets....
Do I check myself "forward & backward" 
       to be sure that my loves
   do not keep people from listening to me when I share
       how great God is.... when I try to encourage them saying
               how God will help us win over addictions? 

PRAYER
LORD God, help me remember to look at myself
as others see me
not just for me, but for Your Kingdom's sake...
for if my lifestyle distracts people from believing my
witness about Your greatness, then I assuredly need to change it.  Help me to not cause others to doubt

YOUR Word because my self centeredness looks as if
I do.

God's Supporting Word
2 Corinthians 3:18
So all of us who have had that veil removed can see and reflect the glory of the Lord. And the Lord—who is the Spirit—makes us more and more like him as we are changed into his glorious image.  -- New Living Translation

2 Corinthians 3:5
Examine yourselves as to whether you are in the faith. Test yourselves. Do you not know yourselves, that Jesus Christ is in you?—unless indeed you are disqualified.

©2014 DianaDee Osborne (all material), all rights reserved. First published 14 April 2014. FREE personal usage; see website.  But feel free to print with copyright info, & share for nonprofit usage!
With thanks to BlueLetterBible.org  for providing God's Word in easy-to-research format.
Additional encouraging resources at 
http://DianaDeeSongStories.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment