Saturday, February 21, 2015

Awful Discoveries while Dieting - by DianaDee Osborne

FEBRUARY  21
This morning I made an awful discovery.
Although my doctor (the new one who finally did the tests proving that no, I'm not 
                              overweight because I'm depressed and overeating significantly)   
doubled my thyroid medicine 6 months ago, 
the scale is inching down a mere tiny bitty miniscule  
1/2 pound per week... or 1/4 .... or "holding my own!" ... :(
Yet I've been taking COMFORT in the fact that
my waistband on my jeans has been staying snug because I
REFUSE  to buy jeans a larger size.... I'd rather be uncomfortable 
than to have that proof of how badly I've let myself become.
Because- even with a low functioning thyroid, I know I
COULD have worked a lot harder in self-control 
& turning to God instead of to snacks & nice coffee when 'down'.


And Then this morning I made an awful discovery.
I thought,  "I wonder....."  and I went to go get some of those magnifying glasses I keep in the kitchen for reading phone numbers.  Then -- rather stupidly,    in hindsight -----
I returned to my bedroom and looked at the label on my jeans.

I'm already  wearing that larger size...... sigh..............
==============================================================

 A Perfect Parable of what we're like  to  God. 

We measure our sins on a scale --
--  Keeping that extra nickel in change the store clerk gave us,  oh maybe 2 points of sin.   Not bad.  Anyone would do it.  Don't want to embarrass the woman.

-- Taking 3 pens out of the bank.  
Maybe no points at all.... The bank charges so many new fees that I've actually paid for these pens.  Besides -- they'd like the publicity (if I later lose the pens somewhere).

-- Speeding 11 notches over speed limit.... 
Hey, I don't want to get run down.  I'm just passing all these people so I can get to that big open space 1/2 mile up.

-- Robbing someone's home -- now that's BAD.  We all know God says not to steal.

-- Beating someone up -- Really bad.  God says anger is a terrible sin.

-- Murder -- Hey,  ARE there enough points for how Bad that sin is? 

  I'd really rather not remember that the tiniest sin I do is   ANATHEMA --- NAUSEATING -- to our Holy God.    
 

-- Abusing my body by overeating OR  UNDER-EATING...... the same number of points as murdering a person,   IN THE EYES OF HOLY GOD.
PRAYER
LORD GOD,  HELP me to remember that You are so Holy and Righteous that you do NOT grade on a point scale.   That overeating is a way of abusing this temple body you've given me.  THANK You for the encouragements of Romans 7 .... yes, we repeatedly do sins we do not want.  And I also.    And  Romans 8, that You still have mercy.
Help me to STOP WANTING to put me first and You after...
 Help ME to be nauseated  by the  
CARELESS  way I treat You, 
presuming upon Your grace, 
O my dearest LORD God.
=====================================================
©2013, 2015 (registered with USCO) by DianaDee Osborne (all material),  
all rights reserved. FREE personal usage; see website.
** But feel free to print with copyright info, & share for nonprofit usage!
With thanks to BlueLetterBible.org  for providing God's Word in easy-to-research format. Additional encouraging resources at 
http://DianaDeeSongStories.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment