Friday, December 14, 2012

Bad Egg Dieting Parable

December 14
I reminded a friend of Psalm 46:10, 
but "stillness" is a matter of the heart;
We can be still with God while serving to help His hurting people.
Reminding myself, amid the Season.
C.S. Lewis gave this parable in "Mere Christianity"--  "It may be hard for an egg to turn into a bird: it would be a jolly sight harder for it to learn to fly while remaining an egg. We are like eggs at present. And you cannot go on indefinitely being just an ordinary, decent egg. We must be hatched or go bad." 

That's sorta 1 Corinthians 3:1 on.  God calls us to mature, to stop acting like babies.
He was talking to "the Church" at Corinth, according to the first chapter.
But also to people within the church.  Telling individuals like me and you to "grow up."

I remember "way back when" no one  knew what cholesterol was.  What a pleasantly ignorant time.  We ate all the eggs we wanted (and have thankfully learned they aren't that bad in moderation).  We ate fried chicken because it was better than broiled, unless we were watching calories.  And potato salad was classified as a vegetable.

But now we know better.   It's time to eat like reasoning mature people.  Thinking completely differently   about those 1/3 pound  hamburgers.

Too much cholesterol is bad for my heart.  No immediate consequences.  But eventually.......
Exercise is good for my heart.  But too much exercise and not enough rest is NOT.
What a conundrum we face!  How do we choose?   SIMPLE ANSWER is always James 1:5 --
ask God for wisdom.
And a second remedy for our hearts:

(GOD'S COMFORTING SUPPORTING  SCRIPTURES)

Back to Psalm 46:10.  Be STILL.  Know that God is God (and you are not).
Grow up, mature - I tell myself.  Learn to REST IN MOTION -- rest on God's promises even while going around doing good.  Like Jesus, who we should reflect,  did:
"how God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Spirit and with power, who went about doing good and healing all who were oppressed by the devil, for God was with Him."  -- Acts 10:38
Once I know the way God has called me to act,
including setting aside foolish self-centered ways like overshopping and overeating,
it's too late to crawl back into my shell.
(Yet what a tempting thought after such a weary week.)

PRAYER
DEAR LORD GOD,  I repeatedly sin by trying to go back to old days.  Help me remember that my memories don't exactly match the facts that were.  I'd love to again be free to eat all types of junk food without gaining weight.  Love to stop caring about cholesterol.  Love to crawl back into my shell of safety until someone rescues me from making decision.  I'd love to stop being "accountable."  Dear LORD God, please help me see a return of joy for times worshiping you in church
AND in being still -- even while I'm in motion, help me to rest in you, remember you're still GOD..
             Help me to fly --- shell free,  worries free as I rest in You.   

"But those who wait on the LORD Shall renew [their] strength; They shall mount up with wings like eagles, They shall run and not be weary, They shall walk and not faint."  --Isaiah 40:31 New KJV

No comments:

Post a Comment