Thursday, December 13, 2012

Low Overpass Dieting Parable ...........by DianaDee Osborne

December 13
Some people compare sinning to speeding.
SO  many times I've heard the sermon about God's Grace--
that the Old Testament is the "LAW" and the highway speed limit sign is the "LAW".  But God's New Testament removes the law -- like the Autobahn in Germany (or some American deserts)  where there is no speed limit sign.

And sometimes the sermon parable adds,  "Oh yes, you still have to travel a safe speed."   And then that or another sermon might say  
"We look around for the police officer and then start speeding if we're sure we won't get caught."
But somewhere in there we're losing another pretty good parable:
GOD created His Laws not just to keep us "in line" but to HELP us.  
Many scientists and nutritionists and social psychologists have looked at the original covenant laws and seen how beneficial they could be to follow.

God's definition of the sin of overeating (gluttony.... ouch, how I hate that word), for example --
 I would LIKE  to think of it as a speed limit.  
When no one's looking ---- 
well, that cookie is calling my name.  
Ok, honesty here:  So are all its dozen friends.  And the scale won't tell on me for awhile.

But God's warnings against all the sins not only are so we'll learn to respect and obey Him, but also for our benefit.  God's warnings in Ezekiel 16:49 for example were really not about food, but attitude and self-centeredness -- and disobedience to God.

God's definitions of sins are really more like 
LOW OVERPASS WARNINGS --                                
Doesn't matter if there are  no police cars in sight.  
You disobey that law, you're going to get hurt.

I am so deeply grateful to LORD God for His grace that forgives.  
But there are consequences if I keep disobeying Him.  Not surprising that the consequences of most sins involve physical health.  Jesus said in John 8:44 that Satan is real,  Satan is a liar  ("a few little sins won't hurt anything")  Satan has been a murderer from the start --- and from the start has implied that God lies,  we won't die from our disobedience to Him.

ENCOURAGEMENT   from LORD  GOD
"But He gives us even more grace to stand against such evil desires.
As the Scriptures say, "God opposes the proud but favors the humble."
So humble yourselves before God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.
Come close to God, and God will come close to you."   -- God through James 4:6, 7, and 8a NLT
           It's our choice........
PRAYER
Lord, God, I need Your help just to pray for your help.  Thanking You for Romans 8:26!
Please forgive my carelessnesses in the past, in everything -- not just food choices but also
how I treat others, or how I complain, or how I sometimes don't truly trust You.
I depend on Your grace, 
I THANK and praise You for your loving grace,
but in my love for You I plead:  Help me to stop hurting YOU with my sins.
Including...... ouch..... gluttony.
HINTS 
Ecclesiastes 4:  9, 10, and 12 are God's type of providing  someone to help us "police" our choices :)   Dieting is easier when you can confess to  &   yourself *support* someone else. 
©2012 DianaDee Osborne;  all rights reserved.  But feel free to print with copyright info, & share for nonprofit usage!


No comments:

Post a Comment