Thursday, December 6, 2012

Canada Geese and Following These, by DianaDee Osborne

December 6
The oddly warm December afternoon drew me out to a picnic table by the bay.  There I stayed praying and reading my Bible until red clouds filled the western sky.  A huge flock of Canada geese flew overhead -- north -- to find rest for the night.

And then another huge flock flew overhead, honking and honking and honking toward each other as they followed the lead flock.

And then ANOTHER  huge flock followed the others -- north despite the growing deep coldness as the winter sun set -- honking and honking and quacking toward each other.....

QUACKING ????    I looked up from my Bible at this third flock.  As I did, about six mallard ducks suddenly broke away from their place in the middle of the Canada geese.  They quickly turned back southward, flew a bit over the waters, and then sailed down to the safety of the cat tail marshes.
They decided against "safety in numbers."
They decided against following the crowd in the wrong direction.
They apparently realized that they were not Canada geese!

As I watched this odd event, I began praying -- surely, God, there must be some PARABLE  in such an amusing scene that You drew my attention to?   Perhaps this is it,  for you and for me:

God's Supporting Word
A lot of people have told me, Don't worry about weight. 
Don't worry about your appearance.  You're fine.
God only cares about the real you, what's in your heart.  
And they are encouraging!  I'd love to follow their ideas and
decide that I don't need to watch my diet---
because, after all,  I  do truly, dearly love LORD God.
      But Jesus said "Follow me."  Over and over.  And obviously He was not speaking of physical footsteps.  Luke 9: 23 tell us how  (New KJV):
      Then He said to [them] all, "If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow Me"

I'm not fond of that word "ALL".  
Jesus  was telling me words I'm even less fond of ----
I must deny myself.  
I must quit being self-focused and instead follow Christ.


Ever notice that Jesus never identifies EXACTLY what we must be denying to ourselves?
       That's because the details vary from person to person.
I have no interest whatsoever in  alcoholic beverages.  The so called "buzz" has always scared me;  guess that makes me a bit of a control freak, never wanting to risk unclear thinking.
       So it's no "denying" to me to not bother going to parties and drinking to be "popular" --
or even drinking all alone where no one would ever "catch" me.

But ah,  chocolate.   I dare not condemn a person who over-drinks when I over-eat.
Or one who speeds down the roads while I the speed-limit-driver head for a store to buy more than I need.  I  KNOW that I'm not following Jesus when I do things.
EVEN WHEN MY FRIENDS -- or strangers on TV, like geese -- 
tell me I'm normal and "OK."

God's Holy Spirit speaks to us -- lets us know HOW we need to be denying ourselves.  The details for "me" personally.
The details on how to not follow the flock in the wrong direction.   All we have to do is ask Him for wisdom -- 
James 1: 5 and 6
and ask Him for empowering --
Ephesians 3: 20 to 21.
For His Glory.  God answers.  Oh, LORD, help me  follow You.

©2012 DianaDee Osborne; all rights reserved but you are welcome to
print and share with the copyright © info. 

No comments:

Post a Comment