Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Pawn Shop Guitar Parable, ............... by DianaDee Osborne

December 5

While waiting,  I went into a pawn shop.  I like to check for inexpensive guitars for students to use until they decide whether to keep taking lessons.  We're talking, $75 tops. So I was amazed on this day to find a great sounding Seagull guitar,  priced very very low.  
             And then the pawn shop owner tried to "convince" me (I was hiding my excitement well!)  by taking a lot more off the price  &  "throwing in" the brand new, molded, super-padded hard shell case (worth half the guitar cost, over $100) that had come with it, still with unopened paperwork and keys,  just so they could get rid of this brand of guitar faster.

The pawn shop had no idea  of the TRUE value of that guitar, other than the "list price".   It was a maker that only guitarists -- SOME guitarists -- know as a well constructed Canadian guitar.  But I knew its value -- knew how well it responds to light touches.  I already owned a guitar like this, already knew how quickly this guitar make "warms" as it ages.... 
I knew a great future ahead for it that others did not see.

And in this I see a parable from God for you and me:  Other people look at us with all our faults, and see no special value.  They assume we're worse that the "preferred" type of person -- pretty or handsome, the right size, the right education and experience, the right personality....  But God sees behind the aging, overweight, some-times mentally slow person that we are,  to the valuable one He has designed uniquely.  God already sees to what we will be despite today's flaws.  And God not only values us, but dearly loves us.  Despite the flaws.  Even while we're working with Him to stop bad habits including overeating.

ENCOURAGEMENT
Jesus's description of a woman in Luke 7:47, spoken to the religious leaders who prided themselves on serving God correctly:   "I tell you, her sins—and they are many—have been forgiven, so she has shown me much love. But a person who is forgiven little shows only little love."
          Yes, God calls us to obey (John 15:15 etc.).
          Yes, God calls us to reflect Him  (2nd Corinthians 3:18).
But He also calls us to call Him for help  (also 2nd Corinthians 3:18).
And GIVES that help as soon as we ask.  See Jesus's promise to send The Helper in John 14:26.  And John 15:26.  And John 16:7!

PRAYER
Lord, thank You for seeing value in me even when I don't.
Help me to truly reflect You, to GROW in doing so, as Your Word says.
I need Your help.  I yearn to bring You joy,  as your love despite my flaws brings to me!

©2012 DianaDee Osborne;  all rights reserved.  But feel free to print with copyright info, & share for nonprofit usage!

No comments:

Post a Comment