Friday, May 10, 2013

Children and Fish Dieting Parable.... by DianaDee Osborne

May 10                                                                                       SUBSCRIBE  
I'd worked on music until 3 AM, then was up and on the computer again a few hours later.  Decided to take my usual morning break reading the newspaper as I 
relaxed, "Trapped Under A Cat" (free LINK to my rather old country humor song!) 
and sorta watched "The Price is Right".... (Mom and I later call each other and laugh  about "I wouldn't pay $X  for that -- I wouldn't want it for FREE!")

So there I am reading with somewhat blurry eyes when I suddenly notice this headline:  "Children Can Eat Fish."
OK, I thought, did I miss something?  Were children NOT supposed to eat fish?  Oh no - did I endanger my children with FISH?!!!

Then I literally rubbed my eyes and looked again.
Here's what it really said:   "Children Can Fish".   As in -- 
someone arranged for little ones to go take poles to some pond.

God's Supporting Word 
That describes a mistake I sometimes make when I read God's Bible... I'll glance at a verse, decide what it means, and move on without really studying it.  If I don't THINK about what I read, I'll continue through my day with the WRONG perception of what God's Word says.  Just as I almost didn't bother to re-read that newspaper and learn that -- ok, my children can safely eat trout.

   Who cares?    What's this gotta do with Dieting?       

I have heard others repeatedly use some of God's Words the wrong way.  We once laughed at a preacher who said "Romans 8 comes after Romans 7." 
As he looked at us with great puzzlement as over 100 people laughed,  then he "got it", laughed, and declared his explanation,
"Romans 7  tells us how bad we are.  Romans 8  is God's Word of HOPE to us." 

  If we read a Bible verse that sounds hopeless, we're missing something.  For God never leaves us without hope.  

Romans 7:5 NLT -- "When we were controlled by our old nature, sinful desires were at work within us, and the law aroused these evil desires that produced a harvest of sinful deeds, resulting in death.
    "But now we have been released from the law, for we died to it and are no longer captive to its power. Now we can serve God, not in the old way of obeying the letter of the law, but in the new way of living in the Spirit."  -- verse 6.  More than a quick glance at verse 5  ever  can show us for our life.
          James 1:5.  If it doesn't make sense,  we ask God.  
                  who answers us LIBERALLY with wisdom.       

James 1: 5 - 6 NLT.
If you need wisdom, ask our generous God, and he will give it to you. 
He will not rebuke you for asking. 
But when you ask him, be sure that your faith is in God alone.
Do not waver, for a person with divided loyalty is as unsettled as a
 wave of the sea that is blown and tossed by the wind.
 Such people should not expect to receive anything from the Lord.
Their loyalty is divided between God and the world,
and they are unstable in everything they do.

PRAYER
LORD GOD,  I sometimes think I'm so smart.... Help me to remember always to turn to YOU and ask for wisdom at all times.  Help me to see the full truth... to not assume that my quick glances at Your scripture -- like fast glances at newspaper headlines -- tell me accurately what You are saying to me.  I love You, Lord.


©2013 DianaDee Osborne (all material), all rights reserved. FREE personal usage; see website.  But feel free to print with copyright info, & share for nonprofit usage!
With thanks to BlueLetterBible.org  for providing God's Word in easy-to-research format.
Additional encouraging resources at 
http://DianaDeeSongStories.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment