Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Scale and Sword Friends ........... by DianaDee Osborne

JANUARY 22
"The scale is your friend."
How many times have we heard THAT in all those diet magazines and books?

Well,  I'm not feeling any too friendly toward this scale
after 4 weeks of watching my calories and working at the gym
and seeing no progress reported by this scale.  
My comfort:
at least it's not one of those talking scales.
My pleasure with myself:  
I haven't yet tossed it in the trash can.
Sadly,  this is a scripture I find about FRIENDS in the Bible
that honestly can describe the scale.  It DOES keep me "honest" that I COULD have done better.
GOD'S  WARNING
Proverbs 27: 17As iron sharpens iron, so a friend sharpens a friend.

This proverb seemed a bit odd,  so I looked up the meaning of its original words -- especially "SHARPENS".  Since the word "friend"  can be translated first as "so one man"  and then "another" instead.  SHARPENS is in both instances from the Hebrew word "chadad" (Sharp's concordance word H2300).  And this verb can also mean "to be alert, to be keen."  And KEEN means "Penetrating.... quick to understand... highly developed... eagerly sharp."

This Hebrew word CHADAD is used by GOD as a prophecy in Ezekiel 21:  12-17.
A warning that He will bring His sword against those who
have ceased to have awe and reverence for Him.  
People in a nation that follows the ways of Babylon, 
rebelling against God's way.

Some people become angry at God for HIS anger.  But He's righteous... and the word RIGHT is within that word.  Shouldn't we instead feel deep sorrow that God's done so much for us, 
and as individuals -- and a nation -- we are so often  like this?  God says in Ezekiel 21:24:  
Again and again you remind me of your sin and your guilt.   You don't even try to hide it! In everything you do, your sins are obvious for all to see. So now the time of your punishment has come!

As we continue to read God's Word, we see how He REPEATEDLY calls us back to Him.... the LOVING SHEPHERD  even before Jesus was born on earth.   

As we continue to read God's Word, we find His PROMISE to
Give US a SWORD.... the SWORD of Truth  (See Ephesians 6: 10 to end).

So no -- I don't like my scale very much on mornings like this.
But I'm thankful for this measure of Truth that God can use to remind me:
Be WATCHFUL.  Do NOT slip into the carelessness
       that makes us drift away from His Truth 
                  bit by delicious bit.....
PRAYER
Dear LORD God,  I really wish I could wish away the extra pounds.  But instead I'll thank you for their constant reminder that I must constantly stay sharp and focused on Your truth:  My self-centered-ness is a form of rebellion against You.  Please help me remember. Please help me remember to put on Your weapons You offer me through Ephesians 6: 10 to end.
Please help me remember to
always use Your sword of Truth -- which is YOUR WORD.  
Even when it's embarrassing truth to me.  
So I can STAND  with YOUR empowering.  THANK YOU!
 

©2013 DianaDee Osborne;  all rights reserved.  But feel free to print with copyright info, & share for nonprofit usage!
Other encouraging resources:  http://DianaDeeSongStories.blogspot.com