Thursday, January 16, 2014

Praying for Wells ....by DianaDee Osborne

JANUARY 16
It's easy to fall into selfish prayers.
The title of this blog is "Praying for wells".
What do you assume it as about?

I know that if I read in a bulletin that the morning's sermon had this title,  I'd be thinking 
OH COOL... What wells of blessings should I ask God for?     How 'bout you?

Nope.  This one is about John 4 -- the woman at the well that 
Jesus WENT to meet.
DELIBERATELY CHANGED HIS SCHEDULE   to go to meet.
SENT AWAY HIS FRIENDS    on a shopping trip
so he could meet this woman at the well PRIVATELY....
to avoid embarrassing her.
To avoid having thoughtless people butt into His conversation with her.
        (Probably with questions like  
             "hey.... you know she's got a Really bad reputation, right, LORD?")
In John 4 we read what Jesus HAD to have later told the disciples....
for no one else was there to record the conversation:


The woman saith unto him, Sir, thou hast nothing to draw with, and the well is deep: from whence then hast thou that living water?
You can     click   here         to read Jesus's answer via BlueLetterBible.org.
My point in this blog:

ALL AROUND US ARE HURTING PEOPLE.  Thirsting for HOPE,  for PEACE....
We who KNOW  Jesus is the Living Water Who gives US hope and peace.... are we so constantly focused on OUR hurts and OUR needs that we don't see other people
grappling for any strands of hope?  

I've noticed:  My efforts to FOLLOW GOD'S WAY....
to not over-ANYTHING,  whether over-shopping or over-using Internet and TV
or, of course, over-EATING..... this  IS  a diet blog! ........
actually are easier when I not only PRAY FOR GOD'S HELP for me,
but
PRAY FOR GOD TO PROVIDE me with eyes to see the WELLS  where hurting people are sitting and hurting,
to share with them God's news of LOVE and HOPE....of JESUS  THE   Only Living Water for them.
When I talk to people that are hurting 
about the Love and Help they can have from Jesus,
I  am usually not at the same time selfishly OVER-doing anything to "comfort" Me. 


GOD'S ENCOURAGEMENT
Second Corinthians 1:  4,   
God "comforts us in all our tribulation, 
that we may be able to comfort those who are in any trouble, with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God."
  Clck here for  OTHER COMFORT VERSES
  
PRAYER
God, please open my eyes
to see others who hurt....
I pray for WELLS  where I can find people to share YOUR LOVE and SALVATION great news..... to comfort them and stop selfishly focusing on me.  


©2013 DianaDee Osborne;  all rights reserved.  But feel free to print with copyright info, & share for nonprofit usage!
Other encouraging resources:  http://DianaDeeSongStories.blogspot.com